Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Aphra Behn and Going Back to School

The first day back!

If nothing else, university is a wonderful place to get inspired. No wonder we're seeing a societal trend where people accumulate degrees!!! Had two of my English classes today. Enjoyed them immensely.

I met the woman I want to be in 15 years, a professor for one of my second year English courses. Her vocabulary is immense (she used the word "draconian" to describe her marking style), she refuses to communicate via e-mail ("I didn't become an English professor to talk to a machine") and during the first class banned all laptops from her lectures, insisting that since we're studying 16th and 17th century literature we should write everything, to get more in tune with the works we're studying. (Photo credit: <http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Norton-Anthology-of-Literature-by-Women/Sandra-M-Gilbert/e/9780393930139>)

The other class covers literature by women up to the 20th century. This poem was one of my course readings, and I enjoyed it immensely. It made me laugh (how many poems written in 1684 can accomplish that?). Apparently the poet (Aphra Behn) is the first woman to have "lived by her pen" - essentially the first woman to live off of her written works. Quite a feat in the 17th century!


On Her Loving Two Equally
I
How strong does my passion flow,
Divided equally twixt two?
Damon had ne’er subdued my heart
Had not Alexis took his part;
Nor could Alexis powerful prove,
Without my Damon’s aid, to gain my love.
II
When my Alexis present is,
Then I for Damon sigh and mourn;
But when Alexis I do miss,
Damon gains nothing but my scorn.
But if it chance they both are by,
For both alike I languish, sigh, and die.
III
Cure then, thou mighty winged god,
This restless fever in my blood;
One golden-pointed dart take back:
But which, O Cupid, wilt thou take?
If Damon’s, all my hopes are crossed;
Or that of my Alexis, I am lost.



Behn, Aphra. "On Her Loving Two Equally." 1684. Gilbert, Sandra M. and Susan Gubar. The Norton Anthology of Literature by Women. 3rd ed. Vol.1. New York: Norton, 2007. 184-185. Print.


Forgive me, I need to brush up my MLA skills (and what a great way to review!).


Pretty racy wasn't she?



2 comments:

NLP Canada Training said...

It's good to see you writing again!

Rana said...

I looove the few brilliant profs out there. it seems like there are too many who can't teach. aah draconian... im going to write to you soon babe and i will practice scholarly vocabulary on you..
good luck in aall your courses.
love