Saturday, December 5, 2009

Latest and Greatest

Its been almost a year since I half heartedly made my New Year's resolutions to be more green. I'm happy to say I still only very rarely purchase plastic bottles (though I must admit, I buy the large plastic milk jugs in the Maritimes because they're 4L and it seems a waste to buy twice the necessary amount of carton just to avoid plastic), I will eat meat somewhere around 2-3 times a week TOTAL. Chickpeas and kidney beans have greatly supplemented my diet. Hankies have up until this point been largely erroneous after coming back from France (probably because I was no longer practicing outside in the rain in January), and I haven't bought any micro-beaded exfoliants (I even raided my parents' bathroom cabinet and disposed of what sea-creature killers we had).


Speaking of meat though I would like to recommend the latest and greatest on my reading list this year - right up there with The World Without Us in terms of chanigng-my-world-outlook-forever-and-making-me-change-my-lifestyle-and-blogging-about-it-NESS. My latest and greatest this year is: The Compassionate Carnivore by Catherine Friend.

(photo taken from www.elephantjournal.com)

This book was like a wake up call. Its not preachy, it discusses some difficult issues but issues we need to be aware of as consumers (and she doesn't beat your around the head with it either).

The biggest thing for me was what she said about waste. According to her calculations (and she footnotes everything, including these calculations, I like that - you can actually see where she gets her information if you don't like it) at LEAST 7,500 cows, 18,000 hogs and 1 million chickens are slaughtered in the U.S every day and then basically go in the garbage (Friend, 57). The meat expires in the store, or gets wasted at restaurants, or gets scraped out of our old tupperware - but its all just waste. That's not to tell people "don't eat meat" because I like meat, you like meat, our entire human species has been eating meat from day one - what she, and what I'm saying is, we have to realize that this isn't just food.

These animals have their lives taken in order to feed us. It would be massively disrespectful to go and throw that life in the garbage, or scrape it off your plate because you're full. As beings that respect that death and cherish life we should at least have the decency to use every last single bit so that those deaths shouldn't be for nothing!!! I tell you, when I'm cooking meat now, its a precious thing - nothing is to be wasted, or go uneaten or left on my plate. I only cook as much as I know for sure will be eaten, and I'm going to try my best never to let meat go to waste.

We never think of that. We think of the money going to waste, the time going to waste that went into cooking it, but never the animal who died to give it to us. We need to rearrange the way we think and realize that its not just money or corporations or labels but living things that we're dealing with here. And we should treat them with the respect they deserve.

5 comments:

brother said...

Long time no blog.
That was pretty cool, lookin forward to seeing you.

Rana said...

yeayeah right on! good call I'll check out that book soon.

Another amazing one i recommend if you haven't heard of it already is The China Study- this one concerns meat and your health.


love you sarah!

wendalls said...

Wow those facts about food waste are massive. Have gone pretty much vego this year - for exactly the reason that animals give their lives for us to eat. And I'm ok with just a little bit every now and again from my organic butcher. Will check the book. have you seen the doco - 'food matters'? Check it out online.

Bryan Dangerous said...

I really need to get more green as well!
Bryan
http://allstartalent.blogspot.com/

May said...

Dear Wendalls, I haven't seen that documentary yet but I have been meaning to - it looks really good.

Dear Bryan Dangerous,
Feel free to steal any "green" initiatives from my New Years resolutions last year - there are one or two there that might be fairly easy to accomodate into your lifestyle!

Dear Olive Tree Guitar Ensemble,
Thanks so much for the encouragement :)

Dear Rana,
I can't believe you're stil reading this thing! Where's your blog????

And finally - thanks bro!