Wednesday, November 5, 2008

La Toussaint con't...

"Ma philosophie du rugby se superpose à ma philosophie de l'amour : quand on aime on donne avant de vouloir prendre. En rugby j'ai plus donné que pris."
Serge BLANCO (International français)

He's right. It just worries me that maybe I'm too selfless as a rugby player and too selfish as a lover.
I had rugby practice last night. The team (they're not My team yet) whined because we had to do sprints. I was too busy thanking God that they hadn't heard of 200 m sprints in France. They call me the "anglo-saxon" or "canado" or both mixed together. I hope the "canado" sticks, because there's another Sarah on the team and its confusing enough to play in French without people yelling your name for no reason half the time. The British girl (Sarah) asked me what they called me on my team back home and when I said "Ovaries" she laughed a bit awkwardly.
My calves started seizing on the stairs.


Anyway, back to the sejourn in Germany...

Friday, October 31st, 2008

This was a pretty fun day. We mowed down on the all you can eat breakfast at the Euro Youth Hostel in Munich, and snuck a few things for dinner. Met an obnoxious girl from New Zealand who bashed America for 10 minutes straight. To my horror I found out she was a primary school teacher. The only nice thing about her was that she thought I looked/talked like Molly Ringwald ... if that's nice, I don't even know. I'm vain enough to still like it when I get compared to someone famous.

We were going to go to the Spieleugmuseum (a toy museum) but the place looked tiny and cost like 13 euros, so we left.
Next I tried on a traditional german dress (though I think they were usually a lot longer) at an overpriced second hand clothing store. The outfit would have cost me like 80 euros. I was tempted, but then realized that I would only be able to squeeze two Haloweens into that baby, tops, before I wouldn't fit anymore.
Not worth it. Plus, who wants to wear the same costume three years in a row???

Then we went to the M
ünchner Stadtmuseum, which was a huge disapointment, mostly because they had this pamphlet on a Disney exhibit that totally SUCKED in real life. Listen to how cool and scholarly it sounds;
"This fascinating, multimedia exhibition offers surprising new insights in the imagery of master storyteller Walt Disney (1901-1966) ... few people realize how these movies are deeply rooted in European art and literature of the 19th and 20th centuries. In the juxtaposition of original drawings, paintings, figure models and film clips produced by the early Walt Disney studio(1928-1967), with paintings and sculptures by German Romantics, French Symbolists, Victorians or Surrealists, this show reveals concrete relations between popular and high culture, between literature and film, as well as between American and European art."

LIES!!!! In fact, this description is so different from the exhibit that we went to that I wonder if maybe there was another room hidden away somewhere with all the figure models, paintings and sculptures by the Romantics, Symbolists, etc. All I saw was a video clip showing how the background art in Sleeping Beauty was based in midieval art (which was totally cool) and a few drawings (mostly background drawings from the aforementioned film).
There was also this really freaky puppet exhibit that I actually kind of got lost in, which freaked me out, because some idiot decided it would be a good idea to have motion detectors that set off some of the displays... In an endless hallway full of creepy PUPPETS?!?! Needless to say I almost shit my pants a few times when King Kong started moving, and a puppet severed head started coughing up blood and yelling gurgly things in German (which is actually a really scary language when something is yelling gurgly things with blood spitting out of their mouth).

....SHUDDER......

thennnn we visited the treasury at the Residenz (the palace where Ludwig I, Maximilian and
Ludwig II all once lived). I have never seen so many sparklies in my LIFE. And you knew if they were real or not because the AudioGuide handset was straight up (told ya whenever something had used to be a big juicy ruby but had been replaced by a garnet and whatnot). Believe it or not there were only like 14 rooms but it took us close to two hours to get through it all. Shelagh left then to go check out the big soccer Stadt, while I continued on to do a tour of the palace itself.

After that we met up at the train station (while I was waiting for Shelagh a 70 year old German guy asked me out to drinks, which was both priceless and deeply disturbing at the same time - how do you respond to that? you can't just blow off a 70 year old man!!! So I just smiled nicely and said, "No, thank you").
Then, tired and freaked out because we had thought our train schedule was buggered, we finally got on the train - but it was rush hour so we had to sit in the door area. I didn't care to be honest, I had a foot long veggie sub with chipotle southwest sauce (which in Germany is called simply "Mexican") smothered all over it calling my name...

The End
of our Toussaint vacation,
or at least,
as much of it as I feel like writing without feeling like it was all a documentary.

Ugh travel journals are good and bad, because on the one hand you write in it when there is no computer, and it helps you remember the things you saw and did - but on the other you feel like you're repeating yourself anytime you try to document the trip.

Thank god for blogs. I'll just refer everyone here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

seems old German men like you !!! What about younger? Would make more fun

Ute + Axel

Anonymous said...

And you were laughing at the "Dirndl" we saw somewhere in a show cabinet. We are amused

Ute + Axel

Anonymous said...

hey sis,
you're making me want to go back to europe :( hahaha