Monday, November 17, 2008

Les Rugbymans: My Bungles with Rugby in the French Language

Let's face it, rugby is kind of hard to understand even when you're talking in English if you don't know the lingo. It kind of comes with it's own side language.
This post is a summary of the amusing French version of Rugby-lingo that I've been picking up over the past few weeks...
.....and my team back HOME thought I was a space cadet. Les Miss must think I was dropped numerous times as a small child.


Rugby English/French Dictionnary:
Positions
"Les avants"
  • (1,3)Prop = "pilier"
  • (2) Hooker = "talonneur" (I initially thought they were talking about the 8 man, and was thoroughly confused for about two practices...)
  • (4,5) Lock = "deuxième ligne" (literally "second row"... boring... I wish my position was something cool like "massacreur" or something)
I hadn't really learned what the flankers or eight man are really called, but I cheated and looked on wikipedia, so I guess I'll tell you (its uber confusing).
  • (6,7) Flanker = "troisieme ligne en aile" ("third row on the wing" which is really long to say!!!)
  • (8) man = "troisième ligne centre" (you guessed it, "third row centre")
The backs is even WORSE. They're called "les arrieres" or "les gazelles" (which is an imagery I very much enjoy).
  • (9) Scrum half = "demi de melee" (a brutal and literal word for word translation of "scrum half", god french can be so awkward sometimes...)
  • (10) Fly half = "demi d'ouverture" (I would NEVER have guessed this, and didn't know that that's what it was called until just now, you can imagine how hectic practice can be when they're yelling shit like this)
Then it's just "les centres" (basically inside and outside center), "les ailliers" (wingers) and the simplest of all "arriere" (fullback).

Everyday Terminology
I'll probably add to this as my vocabulary grows, and as I come across more amusing and confusing ways of saying regular things.

For example:
Scrum translates into "melee" which for me brings to mind scirmishes and battle, which is, I guess, a pretty cool way to look at it.

In the scrum, "One, two, three, DRIVE!!!" becomes, "Un, deux, trois, FLEXION!!!". Maybe its just me, but even when you translate it just isn't the same.

Or, "Clear the ruck!!!" becomes "Deblaye-le les filles!!!", a verb I usually associated with shoveling.

"Jump on the ball!" becomes "Avale le ballon!" ("swallow" the ball).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hopefully I'll be able to use this newfound knowledge at one of your games when I come visit. XOX, JMB

Anonymous said...

I have enought trouble with the english terms...I'm sorry I skimmed this blog quickly!!

Lo.Mc said...

I wish I was better with my french, but thank you for explaining in English. I don't really know these, but with Hugh, Eric and Mark all doing ruggers as well, I've heard some of these terms.

Anonymous said...

Who said you should stop learning? And - practise makes perfect - with some bruises?

Ute / Axel