Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Winter Trip to Germany

Finally!
Sorry. There's nothing like another eminent trip to get ya to try and get the last one written up. In case y'all didn't know, I've got train tickets booked for Amsterdam Monday, and some more for Avignon and Marseille in two weeks for our spring break. Nothing like train tickets bought and paid for to make you feel the tinglies in your feet.... :)

So! Germany with A&U. I've decided to write it up in a special way.

Hameln
Historical:
The legend of the Pied Piper ("Rattenfanger"). Apparently in 1284 a strange man came to the town to rid them of their rats, and when the villagers refused to pay came back and stole all their children away. Apparently there is some kind of historic background to the legend, despite being widely known for the Grimm brothers version of the story. (Something to do with the city's inhabitants being called "children of the city", though from there I don't really know how the spinoff went...)

Favorites:
  • the massive city theme of rats: a giant golden rat on the bridge, a rat/pied piper fountain, the rats painted along the city to guide you through the main areas, the various business affiliations ("Rattenfangerhaus" restaurant, "Leseratte" (german equivalent of bookwork) book store, sugar rats, shillacked bread rats at the tourist shops (I bought one)...etc, etc. A collective town effort, we'll say!
  • the Pied Piper version of the Glockenspiel on the facade of the Hochzeitshaus
  • the "pancake" house we went to for lunch, like a hybrid version of an omellette and a pancake, delicious!





Erfurt

Historical:
Being on the Eastern side of Germany, Erfurt was a glaring foil to most of the Western parts of Germany I've visited so far. Still in the process of recovering and building from all those years under the GDR, its interesting from that standpoint. I was also really interested in A's part in its reconstruction of infrastructure - what an accomplishment, to help a city get back on its feet! I loved visiting Germany with A&U because of all the personal ties they have with the country and the various cities. Also would like to thank A&U's friend Mr.H for giving us a tour of the city. (You guys laughed when I took this picture at the Thuringer, but look how gorgeous it turned out!)
Favorites:
The GRAFFITI!!! A street artist goldmine, hands down some of the best photos I've taken on the trip, if not all year. Have promised to send A&U pictures of the massive street art display I plan on making in my appartment next year if my new roommate is willing ;)




Weimar

Historical:
Known for being the home base for both Goethe and Schiller. The Buchenwald concentration camp is also situated nearby, but we didn't go there.
Favorites:
  • I got Goethe's "Faust" in a bookstore there (even though I have no idea whether I even like Goethe's works, but I'm romantic like that). The cash register was one of those old ones with buttons like an old type writer and made of wood.
  • A&U brought me to this gorgeous timber frame restaurant and I had the BEST dark beer of my life (sadly, nothing will ever come close, and I don't know if I'll ever find anything comparable in Canada...): Kostriker. Yummm!
  • U was so cute when we took this picture, "Three great writers, Goethe, Schiller and Zarah!!!" (you know I was loving every second of it)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Of course your new roommate won't mind. They'd be silly not to let you splash the apartment with you style, plus I hear he's painting the kitchen bright pink! xox, JB