Monday, September 22, 2008

At the bar...

The bars here are interesting, it seems like French people like to go to a bar and chat over a glass of wine. This kind of goes against the grain for me, where bar = dancing like a maniac/rockstar/idiot/slut (insert adjective here).
Luckily on Saturday (after numerous attempts to find a bar that even had a dance floor) a half naked French guy wearing a toga costume (some kind of French University initiation) and ROLLERBLADES of all things was trapising around the Cathedrale where we were wandering like lost children (on booze). We then followed this guy half across town as he led us like the pied piper with the tail of his coat flapping behind him as he navigated cobblestones and sewer slats alike (he only almost fell once, and was obviously loaded, so I held him in quite a high esteem). Anyway after hiding behind several parked cars when police went by he took us to a bar that ended up being just down the street from where we'd started out the night.
"C4", a bar where people actually dance (and dance on the bar, ladies, you know I was thinking of you), and I actually thought it was a gay bar for a while (ran into several transvestites and "It's Raining Men" was on and a few guys were walking around - or rather dancing creepily from corners - without shirts on which is how I imagine some gay men might behave???) The gentleman whom I asked seemed affronted at first when I asked him ("Why, do I look gay???") but soon calmed down when he realized how it must look (there were only guys dancing on the bar, it was like they were purposefully trying to keep the girls at bay, and "It's Raining Men" was playing, come on!!!). Anyway I think I found my bar, but apparently I have to get loaded before I go so that I can put up with all the pushing that French people think is legitimate in a bar (I actually managed to say something pissy in french when one chick was practically shoving me out her bigass way, "Franchement!!!" which translates to "REALLY now" but obviously has more effect in french...).
That's my story!

No comments: