Monday, September 8, 2008

The First Few Days




Waaargh! A week since my last blog. So much has happened. Here's a speed through version of the past few days:
Sept.3-4 Flying to Strasbourg!!! I finally understand why so many people get pissed off with Air Canada, because Air France was AMAZING!!! They served dinner (roasted beef, vegetables and potatoes in gravy, with half a small - and ridiculously fresh - baguette, a hunk of Camembert cheese, a piece of chocolate cake oh yeah AND a couscous salad. They would have served me a glass of wine but for some reason I got all flustered (as if they'd ID me, and I'm 20, so it really doesn't make sense at all...) and got orange juice (?!) instead.
As we closed in on Paris, I thought, Man, I sure could use a coffee right now. Sure enough, a polite young flight attendant (I thought it was weird, and perhaps this is inherantly sexist of me, that almost all the flight attendants were men) bustles by with a cart laden with coffee, yogurt, and I don't remember what else, asking "Et pour vous, mademoiselle?".
I practically purred. FINALLY, a country that understands me - no more of that "ma'm" shit.

The next two days were spent wandering in (or rather more aptly, repeatedly losing myself in) Strasbourg. Everything is super expensive there (they wanted me to pay 40euros for a towel? uh-uh, I'd rather air dry than be pissed off every time I take a shower).

For the first little while there was also a kind of awkward puzzling of what my behaviour should be in residence. For example, what is the ettiquette about the washroom? (Sidenote: here they call it a water closet, or WC, and for good reason, because there is just enough room to maneuver yourself onto the toilet, and wash your hands, and can just about press your face on the window of the washroom while popping a squat, so to speak.). Anyway, am I supposed to carry my TP and soap into the washroom with me every time I go? or hide a bit of it in my pocket and wash my hands in my room...? (Which I will post pictures of as soon as I get the chance). Also, is it considered bad form to wear one's towel to the shower? (I'm not a flagrant bearer of goods, but really, there's no where to put clothes in the shower room - You guessed it, room with one shower - and there is NO way I'm buying a house coat, screw that, I could get a sweet pair of sexy boots for that kind of money!!!)
More later, I've gotta run. Update you on Germany soon!!!
xoxo Sarah
P.S The photos are as follows - Wally on the bed in my room, the view from my window (!) and a pic from me from the first few days... More to come!

1 comment:

Rana said...

thats a fuckin good story.
i saw your pics of the mens toilet on facebook! amazing!
hahaha .. anyways your pictures are beautiful, i can't wait to see and hear more.. wish i were there...