Sunday, October 5, 2008

My Culinary Amazingness and Why I Love France...

Last night I made my first legitimate home made meal in residence. Pasta with bolognaise sauce and fried snow peas. This doesn't seem like a big deal until you come to realize that my only cooking implement is a small, 1L Ikea pot, which renders this act a juggling feat of fantasticness. Also added to my afore mentioned amazingness is the fact that the kitchen is a floor below me (the one on my floor is broken except for the microwave...). So just to make you understand how hard this is I will describe the ordeal:
1) In room scoop some "tartine" (aka butter) into the pot. Place cut up snow peas in the cover of the pot. Place dried pasta in bowl. Balance one on top of the other while locking the door.
2) Warm the butter in the pot, fry the snow peas. Shake into bowl. Let pot cool, then fill with water and begin to boil. Take bowl with snow peas upstairs because you forgot a spoon to stir the pasta.
3) Cook pasta, refill pot a little bit because its a teeny little thing and the pasta is poking out of the water. Keep cooking, stirring occasionally.
4) Bring drained pasta upstairs and set on radiator. Pour in snowpeas and bolognaise sauce - which are reheated by the freshly cooked pasta. Pour mix back into the snowpea bowl and consume heartily, with fierce pride.Reason why I love France:
Was walking through downtown Strasbourg yesterday with a few friends, and as we were walking to the grocery store we could hear all these drums. Had a peekaroo around the corner and realised that because it was La Journee du patrimoine des reserves what must have been 10 different companies were all marching down the street one after the other, playing their drums and tubas and marching. The music was so jaunty all I wanted to do was hop in alongside them and march to wherever they were going. Here's a vid.

It was so exciting because as I was filming it they were just playing the drums, and then they all picked up their instruments and I actually started jumping up and down with excitement, forgetting that I was trying to catch it all film.....

No comments: